Saturday, June 12, 2010

Hectic morning sail

There was a medium breeze this morning and a very early tide. There was a laser out at the end of the cut when I went down to get ready. It was a Northerly wind so it was going to be a tough tack out. I decided not to put on the action-cam to start with as I was concerned it might interfere with tacking. This was possibly a good move but a shame as there was very little sailing possible: I managed to tack out OK but it was very gusty and the wind was strengthening. I finally got to the end of the cut and noticed the laser was capsized. I had a quick go at reaching towards the point but there was a heavy swell and it was hard to keep control. After a while I decided to cut mu losses and head for home. This was a real challenge as it was a dead run in choppy water. I managed to weather the worst of it and then, thankfully, entered the smoother water in the cut. I was pretty much on the edge and very nearly broached at the start but hung in there and kept bearing away to keep the run going. I was on a starboard tack and was prepared to head in to the bank if I had to. I eventually managed to keep it together until I was opposite the dinghy park - the Giant Hand was not in evidence in these conditions - and slammed into the bank. It was then an easy task to drift across the channel with a loose sail. I contemplated changing to the reduced rig but reckoned I'd had enough.

That's me on the webcam after running up the bank:

No comments: